What the hell is toopit?!

What the hell is toopit?!

Search This Blog


Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nails, Nails, Nails . . .




I have spent many hours in different nail shops around Long Beach, something I never really did in El Paso.  Why?  Don’t know.  It’s just a thing to do here in California.
Anyway, I am a little picky about my manicures.  I guess you can say I’m a little obsessive.  I know, I know.  This is surprising, especially if you know me.  Me?  Obsessive?  No way!  But back to the nails, I really prefer to pay for a manicure/pedicure only if it’s done right.  I like when my nails are nicely buffed.  I like when my cuticles are really taken care of.  I like when my nails are clipped and filed.  By the way, I don’t have false nails, I don’t wear polish except for an occasional French tip from time to time, and I almost always go natural.  So anyway, if I’m going to actually go out and have someone else do what I should be doing myself (shame on me), then I’d like for it to be done right. 

I am reviewing 3 different nails shops in this article:  Eiffel Nails, Belmont Nails, and Passion Nails. 

Eiffel Nails, located on 2nd street, is a very interesting place.  The owner is there from open to close and has admitted to me that she will stay open very late if someone comes in.  I was in there one time after 8:30 when two women came in and asked, “you’re open?  What time do you close?”  She responded with a happy, “choose a color, come in, I’m open.”  Now that’s unusual.  Anyway, I like this place mostly because of the price.  She usually charges $15.00 for a basic manicure/pedicure, although I have paid $18.00 several times.  I’m not sure why the prices change from day to day but it’s usually under 20 bucks which is totally cool.  She does a nice job if she’s not rushed and if she has help.  If she is alone, she works too fast and doesn’t get all of my cuticles done right.  If Nancy is working, ask for her.  She is awesome.  She spends all the time needed to get the cuticles soaked enough and gets the nails buffed down to a silky, smooth surface.  The only thing I find myself wishing for when I go there is that the massage chairs were connected to the water lines.  The chairs are comfy, but the water is brought out in a water bin that sits in the foot tub.  Not a big deal but you don’t get the luxury of the foot jacuzzi as you would at other shops.  For the price, this mani/pedi is a good one.

Belmont Nails, located on 2nd street, is a really cool place.  There are always more than enough women there ready to work on your nails.  The place is very clean and very updated.  The work they do on your hands and feet is incredible, but you pay for it.  The price there is always more than you would like to pay.  Again, I don’t always get the same charge for the mani/pedi and if I decide on an extra massage, I pay a different price as well.  Ok, I normally never pay extra for a massage, but at Belmont Nails, I will.  Wow!  The leg massage is pretty incredible! Fifteen minutes extra?  Yesssss.  Ok, so as you can guess, their mani/pedi is a pretty good one.  They all do a very nice job.  I always need to make sure I put aside a little more cash for this visit, which ranges from $35 to $50.  Yikes!

Passion Nails, located on Spring, is pretty awesome!  I really like this place.  When you become a regular, they treat you especially nice.  But, if you’re brand new to this place, watch out!  Two sisters own this great shop and the older sister who is in charge is serious business!  Before you walk in, you need to remember to have thick skin with these women.  “Manicure or pedicure!  Sit down!  Pick a color, now!  Go!”  Just do as they say and all will go well.  Go wherever they point.  Sit where they direct you to.  Just do it.  Once you’re in, they set up the foot massage Jacuzzi with the hottest water ever which feels painfully exciting.  They take the time to get your nails done right!  Their prices are fairly reasonable, ranging from $25 to $50, but the coolest thing is if you bring your card in they will punch it for you.  After a fully punched card you get a discount on your next service. And they will also sell you a tiny loofah for 2 bucks that you can bring in every time. This is also a very clean and tidy place which makes me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment